Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Time Has Come & Beta Readers

You may remember I had beta readers look at my novel this past year. I wrote a post about how to work with beta readers for Writing From the Peak, the official blog of Pikes Peak Writers. You can check it out HERE.

As of today, I'm at the Marriott in the lead up to Pikes Peak Writers Conference, where I'll be working as staff AND presenting some workshops. Plus, I'll be selling and signing books. So my husband made me a friend to take.


Turns out there's a bigger one on its way, but he'll be dropping him off at the hotel after I'm already there.

My younger cat is not a fan.


She actually wants to eat it.



3-D printers can make all kinds of cool things, eh? Given, my facehugger pales in comparison to building organs with a 3-D printer. Still, I like it. He and his older brother will be at my signing table.

Have a great week, and I'll see you next Wednesday for the IWSG! Hopefully with some fun news from PPWC. In the meantime, here are some links. Bear in mind that I'm not endorsing them, merely passing them along. Always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

AGNI is accepting fiction, essays, and poetry. Pays $10 per printed page. Deadline May 31.

One Story is accepting short literary fiction. 3000 to 8000 words. Pays $500. Deadline May 31.

Baltimore Review is accepting fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction. Pays $40. Deadline May 31.

67 Press is accepting flash and short fiction. Up to 5000 words. All genres. Pays $25 + royalties. Deadline May 31.

Recompose is accepting speculative flash fiction and poetry. Up to 1100 words. Pays $.06/word. Deadline May 31.

Nashville Review is accepting fiction, poetry, and nonfiction. Up to 8000 words. Pays $25 to $100, depending upon submission type. Deadline May 31.

Chicken Soup for the Soul is accepting short submissions for the theme Positively Happy! Up to 1200 words. Pays $200. Deadline May 31.

CASFWG is accepting short fiction for the anthology When You're Strange: An Anthology of Strangers. Up to 7500 words. Pays $15. Deadline May 31.

Any of these links of interest? Anything to add? Publishing news?

May you find your Muse.

10 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Have a great time, Shannon!

A Beer for the Shower said...

That is so cool! Have an awesome time!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Face hugger - LOL! I bet using the 3D printer was cheaper than ordering one from Think Geek.

The Cynical Sailor said...

Wow that's so cool! Love the cat's reaction :-)

Andrew Leon said...

That's probably not a thing a would make with a 3-d printer...

H. R. Sinclair said...

Kitty just wants a nibble. :) Too cute!

Julie Flanders said...

I hope you're having a fantastic time. I love the pictures!

Jen said...

Have a wonderful time! And I love the facehugger :) I'm sure both of my cats would react the same way!

Cheers,
Jen

John Wiswell said...

Haha, I love that cat pursuing the facehugger. There's a great story to be had in a predator that preys on those things.

I hope the conference went well!

Arlee Bird said...

Hope your event went well. That sounds exciting!

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out